5th Conference on CMC and Social Media Corpora for the Humanities (cmccorpora17)
The 5th conference on CMC and Social Media Corpora for the Humanities will be held in Bolzano/Bozen, Italy on 3-4 October 2017 and will focus on the collection, analysis and processing of mono and multimodal, synchronous and asynchronous communications. The focus will encompass different CMC genres. These include, but are not limited to, discussion forums, blogs, newsgroups, emails, SMS and WhatsApp, text chats, wiki discussions, social network exchanges (such as Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin), discussions in multimodal and/or 3D environments (virtual worlds, gaming worlds).
The conference will bring together researchers who are interested in the collection, organization, processing, analysis and sharing of CMC data for research purposes. We invite submissions on corpus analysis of various types of CMC data for linguistic or applied linguistic purposes and Natural Language Processing.
Topics of interest
- Development of CMC corpora
- Building CMC corpora: from data collection to publication
- Open data for research on CMC: questions of ethics and rights
- Annotation of CMC genres: representation of CMC genres, annotation of linguistic phenomena, metadata
- Multimodal corpora
- Analysis of CMC corpora
- Sociolinguistic studies of CMC
- Discourse analysis of CMC
- Linguistic characteristics of CMC
- Multimodal aspects of CMC
- Language in contact and code-switching in CMC
- CMC in language learning & teaching
- Natural Language Processing of CMC
- PoS Tagging
- Syntactic parsing
- Named-entity recognition
We invite submissions for papers, posters and software/corpus demonstrations on any topic relevant to the above list of themes. For this conference, we are requesting extended abstracts (2-4 pages) in English. All abstracts will be peer-reviewed by the scientific committee. All submissions should follow the template which you can download here:
- MSWord Template (Example document)
- Libre-/Openoffice Template (Example document)
- LaTeX Package (Example included)
Please submit your paper via the online conference system (EasyChair).
Paper presentations will consist of a 20 minute talk followed by 10 minutes for questions and discussion. The poster presentationand software/corpus demonstration session will be opened with each presenter/demonstrator giving a one-minute ‘teaser talk.’ Accepted papers will be published in online proceedings before the conference. After the conference, authors of best-reviewed papers will be invited to submit extended versions of their papers to be published in an edited monograph to appear in 2018.
| ||Submission deadline|
| ||Notification of acceptance|
| ||Submission of camera-ready version|
|24th September||Registration closes|
|3rd & 4th October||Conference and CLARIN UI Event|